Earlier Liperi was best known as mother parish, the so called Great Liperi. It was composed of the present Liperi, towns of Joensuu and Outokumpu, municipalities of Kaavi, Kontiolahti and Polvijärvi, the former municipality of Säyneinen and parts of Juuka and Rääkkylä.
In the old days the Church, in practice the Clergy, controlled everyday life to a considerable extent. Even many priests, like A. J. Europaeus, the vicar of Liperi, greeted with relief when the new Local Government Act was implemented in 1865. That act was the basis of modern local autonomy. According to that law every parish had to form a self-governing unit within ten years. Practically it meant that the Church was separated from the secular administration and gradually the modern municipal decision-making was taken into use.
Coat of Arms as a Symbol of Municipality
The coat of arms, which symbolizes the municipality of Liperi, was designed by artist Ahti Hammar.
Officially it was brought into use in 1954. The coat of arms is externally simple and it has only one heraldic basic figure, the cross. The red cross against the silver background forms four minor crosses. The coat of arms describes the mother parish of Liperi and the four Lutheran parishes which separated from the mother parish: Outokumpu (Kuusjärvi), Kontiolahti, Kaavi and Polvijärvi.The background of the coat of arms is the old Big Liperi, which was once an administrative centre as well in religious as in secular matters. As mentioned above, later the other parishes separated from the mother parish.